Learn to Skate and Play with Tim Driscoll
(Driscoll Skating and Skills)
Tim Driscoll is the founder of Driscoll Skating and Skills. Tim has been teaching hockey players to skate for decades. He is a four-year NCAA hockey player (Princeton) and played professional hockey with the Boston Bruins minor league affiliate the Maine Mariners (AHL).
Tim and his team will teach a progression of skating basics designed to make kids comfortable on the ice so they can learn to move freely and confidently on their skating edges. The foundation of any hockey player’s skill set is their ability to skate. Only then can we introduce other hockey skills along the way to develop young hockey players. The Learn to Skate & Play program will be a station-based program (small groups) and will feature drills that help our players with skating and puck handling, all while having fun as they are introduced to the game of hockey.
Volunteers Needed: Our program is run entirely by volunteers. While we will have a Professional instructor on the ice for each hour, to plan, organize, and supervise the on-ice activity, we need parents / guardians / volunteers to help on the ice as well. Kids need to be guided into groups and constantly re-directed to maintain focus. This is also a great opportunity for new Coaches to learn some fantastic coaching skills from an experience and knowledgeable crew. If you are interested in helping on the ice, please Register as a Coach on the SYH website and in the comments field of your registration indicate Learn to Skate and Play.
- Boys and Girls ages 4-9
- Limited to 50 skaters per hour
- Preference is given to Stoneham residents when capacity is reached
- $150 per session (two 12-week sessions)
Time and Location:
- Learn to Skate and Play is held at Stoneham Arena on Saturday afternoons at 2pm
- Participants will be assigned a one-hour block based on age and skill.
- Each group will be broken into smaller cohorts of similar skill and ability to get the most out of their time on ice.
- The Learn to Skate and Play Director (Tim Driscoll) will move kids from group to group as they progress through the program and new skills emerge to continuously challenge each participant to reach their full potential.
- Coaches will teach a pre-set curriculum designed by Tim using techniques and that were developed over decades of skating and skills instruction.